“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” — Archbishop Desmond Tutu
I cannot be silent. The best I can do as a white British person from a small town in Devon, England is to learn, donate and support the momentum.
I’m personally responsible for my own ethics and this is for my own learning. But perhaps it will help others. Below is a working document filled with what I have found most interesting and insightful.
If you think something should be included, just message me.
- Information – https://www.obama.org/anguish-and-action/
- Interview with Bryan Stevenson on histories impacts on today – https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/bryan-stevenson-on-the-frustration-behind-the-george-floyd-protests
- Barack Obama’s Task Force On Policing – Building trust and Legitimacy (page 9) https://cops.usdoj.gov/pdf/taskforce/taskforce_finalreport.pdf
- Petitions – https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/#petitions
- Black Lives Matter – What we believe https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/
- Anti-racism resources for white people – https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1BRlF2_zhNe86SGgHa6-VlBO-QgirITwCTugSfKie5Fs/mobilebasic
- Loads of resources from It’s Nice That – https://www.itsnicethat.com/news/resources-supporting-black-lives-matter-movement-creative-industry-010620
- Disproportionate police force makes things worse – https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/de-escalation-keeps-protesters-and-police-safer-heres-why-departments-respond-with-force-anyway/
- African-Americans are not equal before the law – https://www.economist.com/united-states/2020/06/03/the-grim-racial-inequalities-behind-americas-protests
- How to be Anti-Racist – https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/04/health/how-to-be-an-anti-racist-wellness/index.html
Don’t Feel Like Reading?
- How slavery has transformed America NY Times Podcast – https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/podcasts/1619-podcast.html
- Kendall Jenner Pepsi advert reaction – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CCkUVXHBQ
- Things Can Only Get Better. Race in the 90’s Briton – https://open.spotify.com/episode/3VuIpRMQp7toUgpaojRblm
- Corporate inclusion and communications – https://www.ragan.com/white-papers/taking-a-stand-inclusion-social-purpose-black-lives-matter/
Campaigners and Activists
How To Support the Movement
- Donations – https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/george-floyd-protests-bail-funds-police-brutality-black-lives-matter-1008259/
- Donations to victims – https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/#victims
Social media campaigns
- Black lives matter painted in the street in Washington – https://twitter.com/MurielBowser/status/1268916115809488896
- Renaming of a section of street in Washington to ‘Black Lives Matter Plazer’ – https://twitter.com/MayorBowser/status/1268928589975695361
- Unintended consequences of Black Lives Matter hashtag – https://twitter.com/KenidraRWoods_/status/1267725828475027456
Inequality and Sustainability
- Sustainability targets are all wrong – https://www.forbes.com/sites/solitairetownsend/2020/06/07/your-2030-sustainability-targets-are-wrong/#21453354538c
- Climate change – https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/03/im-black-climate-scientist-racism-derails-our-efforts-save-planet/
- How to be Anti-Racist – https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/564299/how-to-be-an-antiracist-by-ibram-x-kendi/
- Useful inclusive tool kites for PR’s and writing – https://www.ragan.com/what-an-inclusive-language-toolkit-should-cover/